The Ins and Outs of Power Washing in the Houston Area
Just as a home’s interior needs repairs and preventative care over time, so does a home’s exterior. As the years go by, the outside of a house becomes covered in dirt, and potentially even mold or algae. This can be harmful to the residents of the home, and the structural integrity of the house.
The good news is that a good power washing can easily solve this issue. Power washing uses warm, pressurized water to remove unsightly dirt, stains, and mold from the home’s exterior. It is currently the most effective way to maintain the home’s outward appearance.
Why Should You Power Wash Your Home?
Homeowners should think of power washing as preventative care. As one of your largest investments, maintaining your house should be a top priority. When homeowners don’t keep the dirt and grime under control, the house continues to deteriorate and depreciate. But beyond simply the obligation of taking care of your home, there are several additional reasons to power wash your house.
Protecting Your Home (and Wallet!)
The longer contaminants remain on the home’s exterior, the more likely they are to cause permanent damage. Algae and mold can get into the crevices and destroy the wood framing and possibly even the home’s foundation. This will lead to bigger issues down the road and cost way more in repairs over time.
When we hear “curb appeal,” we tend to think of beautiful gardens and freshly manicured lawns. But the phrase means so much more than that. Who will notice prize-winning begonias or a new wrap-around porch if the house itself is covered in filth? Power washing is an essential aspect of home care that adds immeasurably curb appeal, allowing all your other home improvement projects to really shine.
Protecting Your Investment
A home is a big investment, and even if you have no intentions of selling, it’s still important to protect that investment. Not maintaining your home means letting it depreciate in value. If or when you decide to sell someday, you may not be able to get what it could’ve been worth if you’d protected it. The National Association of Realtors suggests that a simple power wash can add significant value to your home.
Owning a home is no small feat; it’s okay to feel pride when it comes to your home. Demonstrate your pride by taking preventative care of your house. Driving up to a freshly washed home just feels better.
How to Tell if Your Home Needs Power Washing
Although a good rule of thumb is to power wash your house every 6 to 12 months, not everyone will remember or be able to have it done that often. If you prefer to power wash your home as needed, then there are a few signs you should be looking out for. The occurrence of any or all of these factors will let you know that it’s time to schedule a power washing.
- Discoloration – Black streaks on the roof, or general discoloration is a sign that algae have begun to eat away at your roof. This could mean serious damage if allowed to continue. You may also notice this happening along the gutters.
- Overflowing Gutters – Speaking of gutters, power washing can also help clear them out when they become clogged or begin to overflow. When the gutters are full, water can’t drain properly and ends up causing major damage to the roof.
- Dull Siding – This may seem obvious, but we rarely notice subtle changes that occur over long periods of time. Therefore, your siding could be extremely dirty, and you just haven’t noticed yet. Grime, pollen, insects, and other contaminants give your siding a worn, dirty appearance over time.
- High Energy Bill – The buildup of dirt and grime on the home’s exterior can affect the home’s insulation. An exterior covered in years of dirt can decrease the house’s ability to regulate temperature, again, causing you more money down the line.
- Insects – The build-up of insects on the soffits of your home are another sign that it’s time to power wash. Likewise, the appearance of spider webs in corners and crevices means that those parts of the home have been ignored for a while.
- Stained Deck or Driveway – As an extension of your home, outdoor spaces are also in need of a good washing. If you notice your driveway has one too many oil stains, or your deck is covered in dead bugs and bird droppings, then it’s definitely time for a power wash.
- More Pests – Insects and other pests thrive in dirty environments. If you’re noticing an abundance of pests, then evaluate what may be the cause of that. It could be that your home’s exterior is encouraging the infestation.
- Unhappy Neighbors – If your neighbors have said anything negative to you or others about your house, then chances are high that a good power washing will help remedy the issue. If yours is the only dirty house on the block, then your home is driving down the value of your neighbors’ homes. It only makes sense that eventually one or all of them will start complaining.
- Considering a Remodel – Before beginning any exterior remodeling projects, you may want to power wash first, just to make sure you’re working with a clean slate. However, if you are planning to paint, it is crucial that you power wash beforehand. Paint added atop a layer of dirt and grime will not turn out to be the fresh look you were hoping for.
The Best Time to Power Wash Your Home
If you are planning to power wash your house, a good time is during the warmer months. Typically, anytime between March and November should work. The point is to complete the task before the colder weather set in. As freezing temperatures set in, any dirt and grime left on the home’s exterior will just become even more packed in, making it more difficult to remove later.
Although power washing can take place any time during daylight hours, it’s smart to allow plenty of time before nightfall, depending on the size of your house. As more shadows become present, it may be more difficult to make sure you’ve removed all the grime. As for the necessary weather, only severe weather conditions would make power washing difficult.
Power washing can feel like quite an undertaking, so many homeowners prefer to hire a power washing company. A professional technician will be able to accomplish the task quickly and efficiently.
Preparing Your Home for Power Washing
If you’ve scheduled your professional power washing, there are a few things you’ll need to do ahead of time. Most services will remind you of these when the time comes, but just in case, here’s what you need to do:
- Remove Unnecessary Items – Although most professional power washing services are capable of working around exterior objects, it’s still helpful to remove what you can beforehand. Things like garden décor, front porch chairs, or lawn accessories are best kept out of the way. Even if they don’t hinder the technician’s ability to wash, they may be in the way of other areas that need a good scrub.
- Check Window Screens – Ensure that all window screens are in good condition and secured tightly. Power washing is just that—powerful—and if screens are properly secured, they could become dislodged during the washing.
- Check Electricity – Unplug extension cords before the washing begins. Everyone knows water and electricity should not be mixed, but it’s incredibly easy to forget about extension cords just left around the house. Additionally, if left out, extension cords are just another thing that can hinder the technician’s ability to wash.
- Consider Your Plants – If it’s possible, try to move any plants that can’t withstand the strength of the power washing. If you aren’t able to move them, perhaps you can provide some sort of protective covering. At the very least, make sure to let your power washing technician know to steer clear.
- Seal Off Doors – Before the washing, check your house for any cracks or openings. Make sure all doors are properly sealed up, and if they aren’t, grab some sealant and make the simple repair.
- Keep People and Pets Away – On the day of the scheduled power washing, make sure kids and pets are kept away or told to remain in the house. This way, your technician can instead focus on doing a great job. Additionally, power washing can be dangerous, so for everyone’s safety, it’s best to remain inside the house or be elsewhere at the time.
Houston Area Power Washing
Dealing with Houston’s weather—a combination of humid, warm months and cooler, rainy winters—can cause its own unique issues when it comes to maintaining your home’s exterior. The humidity encourages mold and algae build-up, and the frequent rain causes more than average mud and dirt splatter. With these extra causes, Houstonians may need power washing more regularly.
Power washing is the most effective way to clean your home and can get the job done much more quickly than simple hand scrubbing. With a professional Houston company like Advantage Pro Services, your washed home will feel brand new. When you work with us, we provide technician consultation before the washing even begins, just to ensure we take the right plan of action. Then, we’ll present you with a custom proposal, and together we’ll decide how to best care for your home.
Advantage Pro Services has been serving Houston communities for over twenty years. Our team of experts will care for your home as if it is their own. In fact, we are so confident that your house will shine, we offer a 100 percent money-back guarantee on our Houston power washing services. We are happy to offer additional cleaning services including windows, driveway, deck and fencing, and gutters.
If you’ve noticed the signs and would like to schedule a power washing in the Houston area, give us a call today at (713) 597-3716, or schedule an appointment online! We look forward to giving you a free estimate and helping your home shine again.